While putting together my Kindle book with the fabulous Kim Doyal and Steve O’Sullivan, I was struck by something that Kim shared with the class. She talked about a her recent Podcast, WPCP 004 What I’d Do Different If I Were Starting My Business Today.
I started thinking about what I would do differently if started my business today and aahh, the “should of, could of, would of” that ran through my mind.
But, this isn’t about me, I really want you to enjoy the article from Kim Doyal then check out her awesome podcast series for more insight.
Here is an excerpt from Kim Doyal, a.k.a. the WordPress Chick:
The 7 Things I’d Do Different by Kim Doyal
There are probably more than 7 things I’d do different if I were starting my business today, but these are the primary things that I would recommend to ANYONE who is starting an online business today or is ready to shift what they’re doing and how they’re doing it. I go into much more detail in the podcast, but here are the 7 things:
1) Focus on my content/my business first
2) Build my list strategically and measure what’s working
3) Have something to SELL as soon as possible (and no, I don’t mean throw up junk. Something of value)
4) Trust my gut & simply be myself
5) Focus on relationships, connections and how I can support other people
6) Be as absolutely transparent as possible (the more you do this the easier it gets)
7) Treat my business like a business
The last point I made in the show, which really ties in with the first item on this list, is that you have to find a way to manage doing the things that will pay off in the long run WHILE you do the things that will pay the bills now. Creating valuable content has to happen consistently and you have to be willing to keep on creating even when it’s not bringing in income. I just read something this morning that you might want to remind yourself of when you feel like it’s taking FOREVER to grow your business: Walt Disney was turned down 500... yes, that’s FIVE HUNDRED times for financing for Disneyland. And don’t give me a “Yea, but that was Disney!”. Stick with it. It will pay off.
And, here are the top 3 things I would do differently:
1) I would not have selected a name with an ampersand in it because Google doesn’t recognize the ampersand sign
2) I would bill a month in advance instead of a month in arrears
3) I would not have given away so much free time, a.k.a. “I could teach you but I’d have to charge”
What do you think? What would you do differently?
Make An Impression.