Failing to have a formal Social Media plan will get you into trouble every time. The good news stories about social media outcomes are everywhere but unfortunately we also know about the brand blunders.
Here are 5 blunders to avoid:
- Not staying in love with your community networks: The classic Barry White song said it best, ”I’m never gonna give you up, I’m never ever gonna stop”. Social media is the dance a
business has to do everyday. Understanding why you are in social media means that you also understand that it is not event driven. Social media is a lifestyle for your business. You can always add new themes and move in different directions but you should never stop your social media dance just because you have finished the grand opening of your new store. Your brand deserves to be treated better than that!
- Not informing employees of your social media sites: Failing to share your social media strategy with your employees is like failing to tell you employees the goals of the company. Talking about social media and training your employees will bring excitement, employee engagement and at the very least awareness. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve heard customers ask if a business was on Twitter and the employee’s response was clueless. That was a missed opportunity for a fan to talk about your business.
- Not giving social media management to a trained professional: Can I say, the Nestle debacle? You can’t afford a blunder or inappropriate customer service. Consumers are increasingly seeing social media networks as an easy customer service portal. One wicked post will turn your followers against you.
- Not paying for social media: Managing your networks (the right way) will cost money. Make that long term commitment and put the cost in your budget. Don’t cheat your brand by trying to do it for free with an Intern or your teen-age son. Set aside the appropriate dollars in your operating budget.
- Not looking at your social media networks: Ok, so you own the business but take time each week to look, read and enjoy your social media. Understand what your customers are saying and view how your networks are being managed.
Bonus blunder #6
Not understanding the true outcome: Social media is not a print or television ad so please don’t use it just to sell your overstock of microwave ovens! Social media is amazing and will do incredible things for your business and your life but just like networking, you won’t always know the outcome.
You will know that you can take your brand and tell your story across multiple networks on a daily basis. Increasing your brand image and reputation…. and with the rate that social media is changing, your business will be able to stay fresh and engage in new and exciting ways. Let Sabrina&Company Social Media Services keep you from making a big blunder.